Outside the Box with Jim Luce & Friends
PROVIDING NEW TECHNOLOGY SOLUTIONS
TO AGE-OLD SOCIETAL CHALLENGES
Recent requests for solving specific problems with specific new technologies:
- Funding a School in Rural Mali, West Africa
- Supporting Undocumented Aliens Facing Deportation in NYC
- Assisting Newly Arrived Home Attendants with Nursing Education
- Increasing Salon Sales for Modern Artists Hit by Economic Slowdown
New technology solutions include the proper and targeted applications of Bebo, Blogger, Digg, Doostang, FaceBook, Flickr, LinkedIn, Picasa, Plaxo, The Point, RSS, Twitter, TypePad, Wiki, Wikipedia, WordPress, Xing, YouTube, etc.
Orphans International Worldwide, the organization associated with the United Nations I founded ten years ago, uses new technologies to promote it’s global humanitarian mission. Below are specific links to specific examples of how one organization — and one founder — have promoted a dream:
- Bebo (for individuals) Jim Luce
A popular social networking website — “Blog Early Blog Often” — owned by AOL.
- Blogger (for individuals or groups)
A blog publishing system owned by Google.
OI Worldwide, OI Worldwide History, OI America, OI America State Chapters, OI America College Chapters, OI American Interns, OI Dominican Republic, OI Haiti, OI Indonesia, OI Sri Lanka, OI Tanzania
- Delicious (for individuals or groups) bounces to photo albums on Flickr
a social bookmarking web service for storing, sharing, and discovering web bookmarks
- Digg (for individuals) Jim Luce
A website to share content by submitting links to stories and voting for most popular.
- Doostang (for individuals) Jim Luce
An invitation-only social-networking site geared towards those seeking career advancement.
- FaceBook (for individuals or groups)
A social networking website where users can join networks organized by city, workplace, school, and region to connect and interact with other people. People can also add friends and send them messages, and update their personal profile to notify friends about themselves.
OI Worldwide (“cause”), OI Worldwide (“page”), OI America Charity Events, OI America Interns, OI America/Mt. Holyoke, OI Greece, OI Tanzania, Jim Luce, (“celebrity”), Jim Luce (“personal”)
- Flickr (for individuals or groups) Indonesian Consulate Gala, French Wine Party at Pink Elephant NYC
An image and video hosting website, web services suite, and online community platform.
- Google Sites (Orphans International Google Site is restricted to volunteers only)
A free in-house website that allows your staff or volunteers to coordinate projects.LinkedIn (for individuals or groups) OI Worldwide, Jim Luce
A business-oriented social networking site used for professional networking.
- Picasa (for individual or group) OI America, OI Haiti, OI Indonesia, Jim Luce
A software application for organizing and editing digital photos owned by Google.
- Plaxo Pulse (for individuals) Jim Luce
A social network around third-party data that allows users to stay connected to their friends’ content updates across different social networks and platforms.
- The Point (for groups) Orphans International Haiti
A website for organizing group actions, allowing people to congregate around the issues they care about and combine forces to make things happen.
- RSS – Really Simple Syndication (for individuals or groups)
Owned by SixApart, one of the three major blogging platforms used by organizations and individuals.
- Twitter (for individuals) Jim Luce
A social networking and micro-blogging site that allows users to post their latest updates.
- Wikipedia (for individuals or groups) OI Worldwide
A free encyclopedias in all languages of the world built by its volunteer contributors and editors.
- WordPress (for individuals or groups) Jim Luce
A popular and free blogging platform which competes with Google’s Blogger and Six Apart’s TypePad.
- Xing (for individuals) Jim Luce
A networking and professional contact management platform used globally.
- YouTube (for individuals or groups) OI Worldwide, Jim Luce
The leader in online video-sharing of original videos worldwide.